Re: binNMUs to keep haskell packages in sync

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 07:42:59PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> haskell libraries have the unfortunate requirement to need exactly the
> version of dependencies installed that they were built against.

Can you please explain why? And does a rebuild in the same environment
also break it?

>                                                                 So
> binary dependencies are fixed (==) to the version that was installed
> during installation.

Exact version is >> x, << x+1. You mean exact revision.

> Currently, we also fix the build-dependencies, to keep the packages in
> sync across different arches, and do sourceful uploads of all depending
> package when we upgrade a library. I don’t like this situation, and I’m
> wondering if we could not do binNMUs to keep the packages in sync.

BinNMUs will only work with loose build-deps.

> I’m also guessing that not having strict build-dependencies might make
> work easier for releasing or security updates, but that’s just guesswork
> on my side :-)

You are already in touch with security? This is a large problem.

Bastian

--
It is a human characteristic to love little animals, especially if
they're attractive in some way.