Re: proposal of release goal: buildability with future gcc versions

Lucas Nussbaum writes:
> On 24/01/08 at 01:42 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > I did upgrade all reports mentioned in [2] to severity `important'. My
> > current plan is to make gcc-4.3/g++-4.3 the default compiler once the
> > gcc-4_3-release branch is created, for all architectures where we had
> > sucessful rebuilds with GCC-4.3 as the default compiler.  These bug
> > reports will be raised to severity `serious' at this time.
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> What's your definition for a "successful rebuild with gcc-4.3"? Even on
> i386, there are still a lot of packages that build fine with gcc-4.2,
> but fail to build with gcc-4.3.

All packages rebuilt, except for failures where bug reports are
already filed but not yet fixed. It's a chicken and egg problem
getting these known bugs fixed. My plan is to announce a date for the
move to gcc-4.3 and then raise the severity of those reports at this
date.

> Also, does your plan include a move to gcj-4.3 as well?

already moved; it's just the backend which did change. The frontend
and the libraries are the same.

  Matthias