Re: em8300 REMOVED from testing

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 04:39:13PM -0700, Debian testing watch wrote:
> FYI: The status of the em8300 source package
> in Debian's testing distribution has changed.
>
>   Previous version: 0.16.3-1
>   Current version:  (not in testing)
>   Hint: <http://ftp-master.debian.org/testing/hints/he>
>     Bug #452985: em8300: Fails to install
>
> The script that generates this mail tries to extract removal
> reasons from comments in the britney hint files. Those comments
> were not originally meant to be machine readable, so if the
> reason for removing your package seems to be nonsense, it is
> probably the reporting script that got confused. Please check the
> actual hints file before you complain about meaningless removals.

I feel slightly puzzled by this package removal. OK, there is a bug
filed against the package, with severity serious. But the bug is tagged
"unreproducible", and the submitter did not reply to my last questions.
Is there anything I should have done to prevent the removal? Closing the
bug for lack of information does not look right to me. Would tagging the
bug "moreinfo" have helpped? Or should I have downgraded its severity
for lack of information?

Cheers,

Nicolas

PS: please CC replies to me.