Re: Transitioning to dhcp3

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 03:10:46PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> Hello,

> Now that the v2 DHCP packages have been removed, we need to transition the
> DHCP v3 packages to that name.

> I've never done something like this before, and rather than trying to be
> clever and buggering it all up, I'd rather seek some advice from the outset.

> So here I am.

> What is the best way of approaching this? Not only do the packages need to
> be renamed to their old v2 counterparts, but various directories within the
> packages need to be renamed.

I would suggest that the best way to handle this is to keep the existing
dhcp3 packages intact, and only add unversioned dhcp-* dummy packages to
facilitate the upgrade.  Otherwise, it seems to me you're doing double
transition work; first the transition from the old v2 dhcp-* packages to the
v3 dhcp-* packages, which is needful, and second the transition from the old
dhcp3-* packages to the new dhcp-* packages, which is not.  (Among other
things, it then becomes a coordinated transition because third-party
packages install files into /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-enter-hooks.d.)

As for the transition itself, this can be managed by adding code to the
existing dhcp3 packages to look for old /etc/dhcp.conf, /var/lib/dhcp,
/etc/dhclient* files in the preinst only in the case of a new install; that
should protect against any risk of accidentally back-migrating an existing
dhcp3 installation.  Then you just need to install the dummy packages, which
have a dependency on the corresponding dhcp3-* packages and no longer
contain conffiles, and the dhcp3 packages will take over automatically, with
the dummy packages droppable again after a release cycle.

I think the advantages of this approach outweigh any aesthetics of having
unversioned directory names.