Report on the situation of python2.5 in Debian

Hi,

I have conducted a thorough analysis of all packages preventing us from
migrating to python 2.5.

I cannot say that the situation looks good. Since the last transition,
many new packages have been introduced, and a large part of them don't
support the current policy. Another bad news is that it isn't possible
to rely on the packages' metadata, as many maintainers don't understand
what the X?-Python-Version fields mean.

Let's start with the good news. The following packages are included in
python2.5, and will disappear or become legacy.
        celementtree
        ctypes
        python-pysqlite2
        python-wsgiref

The following packages need a round of binNMUs as soon as possible, to
build extensions for python2.5, after which they shouldn't bother us.
Can anyone schedule the binNMUs please?
        bitpim
        cx-bsdiff
        duplicity
        elementtidy
        eunuchs
        gamin
        mmpython
        pyalsaaudio
        pyao
        pychm
        pymad
        pyme
        pyopenssl
        pypoker-eval
        pystatgrab
        python-adns
        python-biggles
        python-cddb
        python-crack
        python-daap
        python-extclass
        python-fam
        python-gd
        python-geoip
        python-omniorb2
        python-osd
        python-pgsql
        python-pqueue
        python-pylibacl
        python-scientific
        python-smbpasswd
        python-tcpwrap
        python-utmp
        python-xattr
        python-yenc
        pyvorbis
        pyx
        pyxmpp
        qm
        quixote1
        reportlab-accel
        zodb
        zope-textindexng2

The following packages should also work with python2.5 after a round of
binNMUs, as some dependencies were relaxed in python-support 0.7.4:
        dia
        exaile
        k3d

Now, for the bad news. The following packages have various kinds of
issues that prevent them from working with python2.5. Some of them are
trivial, some are much more tricky. In all cases, we need to focus on
these bugs if we want to see those packages in lenny:
        buxon #445247
        decompyle #445248
        gajim #445275
        gaphas #445397
        gaphor #445277
        gpodder #445278
        hamlib #445382
        hk-classes #445372
        imgsizer #445280
        jppy #445379
        kde-guidance #445281
        lcms #436541
        ldaptor #445285
        libsvm #445386
        londonlaw #445288
        maxdb-7.5.00 #445289
        moosic #445400
        musiclibrarian #445399
        newt #445392
        opensync #445394
        postr #445403
        pykdeextensions #445292
        pyroman #445408
        python-gammu #445370
        pyvtk #445396
        quantlib-swig #445416
        quixote #445405
        revelation #445415
        scanerrlog #406729
        swaml #445422
        urlscan #445424
        xmms2 #445409
I request a zero-day NMU policy for these bugs.

The following packages are also buggy, but they are nevertheless too
buggy for other reasons; let's ignore them.
        diacanvas2
        pyspi
        schooltool

The following packages do not support multiple versions of python at
once. This is where we have the most serious regression compared to the
situation of the python2.4 transition. It is understandable not to
rebuild the gimp or OpenOffice.org packages for several python versions,
but many of these packages are using distutils and are therefore
*trivial* to get to work with several versions.

Please note that they can all be binNMUed after python2.5 has become the
default, but all of them will have to migrate to testing at once. We
must make this list shorter unless we want this transition to recall bad
memories to the release team.

Here is the list:
        adesklets
        aubio
        audit
        beagle
        brltty
        capisuite
        comedilib
        cwiid
        dballe
        dds
        deskbar-applet
        eikazo
        empathy
        galago-python
        galago-python-gtk
        gimmie
        gimp
        gnome-orca
        gnuradio
        hocr
        hplip
        imgseek
        jppy
        kdebindings
        libapache2-mod-python
        libbtctl
        libhdate
        libhid
        libipod
        libmetakit2.4.9.3
        libphidgets
        memaid-pyqt
        mirage
        mod-wsgi
        music-applet
        ninix-aya
        notify-python
        nufw
        ocempgui
        ocfs2-tools
        omniidl4
        opencv
        openoffice.org
        pida
        player
        pyclutter
        pyg
        pygoocanvas
        pykaraoke
        pymol
        pynjb
        pypanel
        pyqonsole
        pyrite-publisher
        pyslide
        python-fuse
        python-libpcap
        pytone
        pyxine
        rdiff-backup
        renpy
        sabayon
        skencil
        smart
        snappea
        solfege
        sonata
        sqlrelay
        streamtuner
        subterfugue
        subversion
        synopsis
        vtk
        wxwidgets2.6
        xmldiff
        xulrunner
        zeroc-ice-python
I also request a zero-day NMU policy for these issues, at least for
packages using distutils.

Finally, for the following packages, I'm waiting for the situation to
clarify in libboost. It is being discussed in bug #445381.
        democracyplayer #445249
        libavg
        miro
        python-visual
        pythonmagick #445395

A status of all opened bugs can be found here:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=python2.5;users=joss@debian.org

Thanks for reading.