Re: ICU transition now or later?

Hi Jay,

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 02:32:52PM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:

> ICU 3.8 was released yesterday.  I've had a "draft" release, as they
> call it, in experimental for a while.  ICU 3.8 is supposed to be
> source compatible with earlier releases, but I have changed the dev
> package to icu-dev instead of putting the soname in the version
> number.  I'd like to go ahead and upload 3.8 to unstable this
> weekend.  This will force a library transition, but the ICU transition
> is pretty small.  If I do that now, will it interfere with anything
> that's nearing completion?  If so, I can wait, but if not, I'd like to
> go ahead and do that.  xerces 2.8.0 is also out, and I'd just as soon
> have my first upload to unstable of xerces 2.8.0 depend on the new
> ICU.  Thanks.

> (I know that I don't *have* to ask for permission to do a library
> transition, but I don't want to upset the apple cart if some big group
> of packages is just about ready to go....)

Please check with the OOo maintainer before uploading this, I believe there
is an important update pending that should be coordinated.

Also, since icu-dev is supposed to be source-compatible, can it have a
Provides: libicu36-dev to allow rebuilds of reverse-deps without source
changes?

Finally, boost is in the midst of a library transition, and boost-regexp
depends on libicu.  I would be grateful if the boost transition could be
finished before boost has to be rebuilt against yet another library, as this
transition has now been pending for over two months thanks to the pain of
getting some of its reverse-deps built.