ICU transition now or later?

ICU 3.8 was released yesterday.  I've had a "draft" release, as they
call it, in experimental for a while.  ICU 3.8 is supposed to be
source compatible with earlier releases, but I have changed the dev
package to icu-dev instead of putting the soname in the version
number.  I'd like to go ahead and upload 3.8 to unstable this
weekend.  This will force a library transition, but the ICU transition
is pretty small.  If I do that now, will it interfere with anything
that's nearing completion?  If so, I can wait, but if not, I'd like to
go ahead and do that.  xerces 2.8.0 is also out, and I'd just as soon
have my first upload to unstable of xerces 2.8.0 depend on the new
ICU.  Thanks.

(I know that I don't *have* to ask for permission to do a library
transition, but I don't want to upset the apple cart if some big group
of packages is just about ready to go....)

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>