Re: Release goal: enforce the use of testsuites when available

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 06:55:11PM -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 02:00:18AM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> >   Packages that have a test-suite should always call it. Most
> > autotool-ed packages have a "check" target to run and that's it. It
> > would help tracking down regressions from the build logs, and would
> > avoid breakages like recently the grep one.
>
> >   Most of the sensitives packages in debian already run the testsuite
> > (libc, compilers, git, whatever...) and I can tell as a libc packager
> > that this already has been proven invaluable.
>
> Why does this belong as a release goal?  Do you really think that enabling
> testsuites in packages should be grounds for a zero-day NMU?  What steps
> will you be taking to ensure that NMUers don't enable testsuites that are
> known to be broken?

Like... the grep one ?

There are also testsuites that can't easily run on a buildd, and/or would
require too long. Here, think testsuites for mozilla or webkit. And for
webkit, while the script to run the testsuite is still here, I stripped
off all the test files for space reasons : the .orig.tar.gz file is 10MB
stripped, but a full snapshot of upstream svn is *190MB* *bzipped*, and
it's growing with time.

Mike