Re: Proposed release goal: removal of wxwindows2.4

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 11:20:31AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:53:03AM +0930, Ron wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 02:23:16PM +0200, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> > > I would like to propose a new release goal: the removal of the outdated
> > > wxwindows2.4 library.
>
> > I think proposing this as a release goal is a bit premature, since
> > what you are really proposing is to drop a number of stable, mature
> > applications.
>
> Worse, it appears that he's proposing to have the release team endorse
> highly-intrusive source changes in 0-day NMUs in order to update these
> applications to backwards-incompatible versions of wxwindows.
>
> IMHO this is not the sort of thing that should be listed as a release goal;
> particularly when a fair number of the bugs at issue require a great deal of
> individual attention, or have a "fix" that consists of packaging a new
> upstream version.

After exchanging a few mails with Ron and reading Steve opinion, I fully
understand why this is a bad idea.

Let's forget about this proposal and my apologies for the noise...

Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism
                                    `. `'`
                                      `-