Re: Proposed release goal for lenny: Switch to dependency based boot system

[Martin Zobel-Helas]
> I second this release goal (as DD, not yet as RA; i leave that up to
> Luk and Andi to decide), and would propose "goal-bootseq" for
> user-tagging.
>
> Pere, do you know how many packages are currently buggy? How can we
> prevent new packages from becoming buggy?

We tag bugs already, and the current list is available from
<URL:http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?usertag=initscripts-ng-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>.

I do not have a complete list of buggy packages, and am not sure how
to detect if packages become buggy except for each developer
activivating insserv and detecting problems in the boot sequence.

> Could you give the release team some numbers so we can decide on
> making this an release goal or not.

I do not know how many packages include init.d scripts, but the
upstart maintainer estimated around 1000 packages.  Most of the init.d
scripts use the default settings when calling update-rc.d, which can
be syntesised with dependencies on $remote_fs and starting in
runlevels 2,3,4 and 5, and stopping in runlevels 0, 1 and 6.

In a base system, 2 of 40 init.d scripts are missing LSB headers
(hwclock.sh and libdevmapper1.02.1), and in a desktop install 6 of 58
is missing headers (the above plus hplip, cupsys, hotkey-setup,
anacron).  The insserv package contain override files for 154 scripts,
and this make at least Debian-Edu install boot sensibly.  I can add
override files in insserv for the packages missing headers until all
packages get headers.  All the 6 packages mentioned above have
override files present in insserv.

Do you need more numbers?

Happy hacking,
--