Re: Proposed release goal: Switch to GRUB2

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 05:14:09PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >> The upgrade from grub to grub2 will be transparent since menu.list can
> >> be automaticaly converted to the new format and this will be in place
> >> when we start the default boot-loader change.

> > Hrm.  What was wrong with the existing format? :/  Those are the kinds of
> > upstream changes that are most aggravating for administrators (or at least
> > for this administrator here :).

> hehe it has been much improved and added some neat features. :-)

Which tells me nothing.  There was nothing missing from menu.lst for me that
I felt needed to be "improved" with a new format...

> >> The migration path, as for i386 too, could be the installation of the
> >> package with a debconf note asking for the installation of the
> >> boot-loader using grub-installer and the removal of previous
> >> boot-loader.

> >> I wouldn't like to get my boot-loader replaced without any notice.

> > At least in the case of x86, I'm not sure how that's any different from what
> > happens with any other upgrade of the bootloader.  I guess the grub1 boot
> > sector is incompatible with grub2, and this is what has to be rewritten on
> > upgrade?

> Yes, it's incompatible but until the user run grub-install he would
> still being using the previous release.

Ok.  This means that the actual upgrade from grub1 to grub2 should be
totally safe for all users by default, because grub-install is not
automatically run, yes?