Re: transition: libcurl3 -> libcurl4

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 07:25:23PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 08:48:03AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 02:09:42PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> > > he already expressed the intention to keep it, curl 7.16.x is on the
> > > road since oct 2006.

> > Grmbl.

> > I wonder if it's worth adding a compat shim for the old symbol versions.

> uh?

It would be possible to add all of the old symbol versions to libcurl.so.4
and provide a libcurl.so.3 -> libcurl.so.4 symlink, to provide full
backwards compatibility.  I'm pondering out loud whether this would be worth
the effort of doing.

> > > the -dev package names went from libcurl3-* to libcurl4-*. how i can
> > > keep the old ones? should i push the original scheme of some years ago
> > > in which no soname is in the -dev packages?

> > That would be fine with me (and preferable in the general case), so long as
> > packages that build-depend on libcurl3-dev can still be built -- either by
> > restoring the libcurl3-dev real package, or by making whatever the new -dev
> > package is Provides: libcurl3-dev.

> so it would be:

> libcurl4-dev           provide: libcurl-dev
> libcurl4-openssl-dev   provide: libcurl-dev, libcurl-ssl-dev, libcurl3-openssl-dev
> libcurl4-gnutls-dev    provide: libcurl-dev, libcurl-ssl-dev, libcurl3-gnutls-dev

> libcurl-dev and libcurl-ssl-dev are already in place since the
> non-ssl/ssl scission, long time ago.

> my intention is to add also a non-ssl libcurl flavour with
> libcurl4-dev.  libcurl3-dev has been a transition package to install
> libcurl3-openssl-dev. hence those depending on libcurl3-dev instead of
> libcurl3-openssl would have a bug.

That's incredibly lame, given that libcurl3-dev is what most packages
build-depend on (62 out of 73, according to 'dak rm').  My entire point was
that you shouldn't break your library's reverse-dependencies without reason!