Re: transition: libcurl3 -> libcurl4

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 08:49:13AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 03:01:11PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> > > Could you please explain why this transition is needed in the first place?
> > > A quick inspection shows that, except for the symbol version change, the
> > > list of symbols exported by each of libcurl3_7.15.5-1 and libcurl4_7.16.1-1
> > > is identical.
>
> > there is a libcurl function, curl_easy_setopt(3), which is used to pass
> > options to the libcurl engine. starting with 7.16.0, thrird party ftp
> > optionos has been removed.
>
> That doesn't sound like a very good reason for an soname change to me,
> especially when curl_easy_setopt() is defined to return CURLE_FAILED_INIT on
> requests for unknown options. :/

eh.. this is very good point :/

> I don't suppose that upstream could be talked into rolling back the soname?

he already expressed the intention to keep it, curl 7.16.x is on the
road since oct 2006.

> Anyway, even if the soname changes, you seem to have changed the names of
> the -dev packages as well -- if the only incompatible change is dropping a
> handful of deprecated ftp options, that's *definitely* not warranted.
> Please revert the -dev package names before uploading to unstable, I'd
> really rather we didn't have to do sourceful uploads of 120
> reverse-dependencies on top of everything else, on account of an upstream
> decision to turn a non-ABI-breaking change into an ABI-breaking one.

the -dev package names went from libcurl3-* to libcurl4-*. how i can
keep the old ones? should i push the original scheme of some years ago
in which no soname is in the -dev packages?

-----[ Domenico Andreoli, aka cavok
 --[ http://www.dandreoli.com/gpgkey.asc
   ---[ 3A0F 2F80 F79C 678A 8936  4FEE 0677 9033 A20E BC50