Re: renaming sylpheed-claws-gtk2-* to claws-mail-*

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 12:12:48PM +0100, Ricardo Mones wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 10:58:02AM +0100, Ricardo Mones wrote:
> > >   So the question is to do that renaming now or to do it after Etch.

> > >   I'd be happy to do the switch now and forget s-c-gtk2 packages, but
> > > given current Etch status I understand it may not be possible. Please
> > > let me know and/or the changes required to make this possible.

> > Given the large number of binary packages involved and the potential
> > interplay between them, I would prefer postponing this until lenny.

>   Which interplay are you referring to? The plugins are shared libraries
> loaded by the main program (claws-mail) to extend it's functionality,
> nothing more. There's a unique interdependency between plugins (pgpinline
> and pgmmime require pgpcore) but it's already present and solved in current
> packages.

Are all of the plugin packages being renamed along with the application?

Will each of these packages need to conflict/replace the old package name to
ensure a smooth transition?

Are the dependencies on sylpheed-claws-gtk2 auto-generated from the
build-dependency somehow, or will they need to each be updated manually for
the transition?

Not all of the plugin packages are from the sylpheed-claws-gtk2 source
package; will the multiple source packages need to be updated in testing
together, and will the package relationships reflect this to prevent any
accidents?

Will the build-dependencies of s-c-gtk2-extra-plugins change on package
rename, will the change prevent or allow the package to be built with the
current libsylpheed-claws-gtk2-dev, and what are the consequences of this if
any?

These are the kinds of issues that constitute "interplay", and make this a
potentially risky update.  The release team doesn't have time right now to
help make sure the transition is a smooth one, and we can't really afford a
rough one, sorry.