Re: fftw3 3.1.2-3 accepted in unstable long ago, but not entered yet

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 09:48:12PM +0000, David wrote:
> Thank you very much for the reply.
>
> I am not sure if it is so straightforward. My case: I had amarok and octave
> installed from long ago. Then, fftw3 came out of the repository. When I have
> something in "local or obsolete", I try to remove it :-) Then, apt wanted to
> remove amarok, octave and all their dependents.
>
> So, if I cannot find the "new" package (imagine that the name is completely
> different, instead of libfftw3-3), the only possibility is to remove fftw3,
> remove the other packages and then, reinstall the packages.
>
> Am I right? (if not, sorry). Then, I think it is a bit obscure even for a
> smart sid user :-) I would be scared that, after removing fftw3, I was
> taking the risk of not being able to reinstall the packages, as in sid some
> dependencies are temporarily broken.

  That's probably because it's in the _middle_ of the transition for
some or the other reason. Meaning that some packages still depends on
the old fftw3 specifically instead of the new package (I suppose
packages have been rebuilt to get the proper dependency by now).
Anyways, apt-get dist-upgrade should be smart enough about that, if
libfftw3-3 conflicts + replace fftw3 (which it should). In that case,
yes, the upgrade isn't ugly and just works.

  Though, you can be caught in unstable in the middle of transitions,
and in that case you have to help apt a bit. Again, we suppose that
people running unstable are smart enough about those issues too, because
there isn't any silver bullet for them anyways.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit