Re: fftw3 3.1.2-3 accepted in unstable long ago, but not entered yet

You are right. After installing libfftw3-3 and libfftw3-dev, I was able to remove fftw3 and fftw3-dev without breaking dependencies.

But an important question is: *how should a sid user had found that?* I am interested, if someone can explain me, could you please tell to the list or only to my email address?

And another question: now, why is apt happy about the dependencies? I mean: octave2.9 depends on fftw3, now fftw3 is removed, but octave2.9 is still there. *How does apt know that the dependencies are satisfied?*

Oh, I see: if I select on synaptic libfftw3-3, go to properties, to dependencies, and to "provided packages", fftw3 is listed there. Is that the reason?

Please Cc reply to me.

Thank you very much,

David