Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 11:01:06PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:

> Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña ha scritto:
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:04:51PM +0200, A Mennucc wrote:
> > I think I already pointed people interested in this to #268658.
> > If ftpmasters where given the tools to implement this seamlessly then you
> > could have aside tools that downloaded that file from the FTP site, and
> > locally checked the md5sums.

> AFAICS in bug 268658 you propose to ship a signed 'Checksums-${ARCH}.gz'
> with releases.

> What I had in mind was slightly broader, though.

> What I have in mind is a database containing all checksums of all binary
> packages passing trough unstable, with records such as
>    package / arch / version / file / permissions / md5 / sha1 ....

It seems obvious to me by this point that this thread is not about something
that should be a candidate release goal; a task should be presented as a
release goal *after* the technical details have been sorted out and all the
proposer is looking for is for the release team to support NMUing to
implement the existing consensus.

So please don't cc: this discussion to debian-release, which is not a
discussion list. :)