Re: release goal for lenny: translated package description

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 12:04:09AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 16 juin 2007 à 21:40 +0100, Michael Bramer a écrit :
> > If you have questions, ask. (please use cc:)
>
> I have one question: how are handled searches (like apt-cache search and
> synaptic's search function) with those translated description. If some
> descriptions are translated and some are not, is it possible to search
> for all of them in English, or do you have to use the language they
> appear in?

I think now apt search in the translated description, and if a package
is not transleted in the english version.

But apt use LANG.

LANG=C apt-cache search XXX
search only in the english description.

LANG=de apt-cache search XXX
search in the german translation and in the english text if
untranslated.

But maybe we need something like a button in synaptic etc. to select
the language.

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  - a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
"Republikaner verstehen die Bedeutung der Verbindung zwischen einer