Re: etch and kernels2.4

On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 02:39:17PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 02:22:37PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 02:13:50PM +0200, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:
> > >   that's the point of my question. The 2.6 kernel in etch do not depends
> > > upon a 2.5 libc. the ones in unstable do. So in order to upgrade the
> > > libc to upstable one, you _have_ to install an etch 2.6.18 first.

> > >   I'm asking what we can do to ensure people don't get to the point
> > > where they don't know how to break that chicken and egg issue like in
> > > #428655.

> > >   IMHO we should have some kind of warning in etch ASAP, but I'd be glad
> > > to have the opinions of the RMs and SRMs on this.

> > IANASRM, but IMHO, it would be too late to do this in a point release.
> > Why not a preinst script in libc 2.5 to disallow upgrade if the running
> > kernel is 2.4, as well as adding conflicts on etch libc to kernel packages ?

>   ooookay, let's rephrase it again, and please read the bug I
> mentionned. THe libc _already_ does those check and the chicken and egg
> problem you guessed does exists, in lenny/sid. *BUT* it can be avoided
> if the user had a 2.6 kernel from etch before.

>   This is an issue that will bit hard for the lenny upgrades, as nothing
> in etch _forces_ the users, neither warn them (except the release notes,
> but I feel it's not really enough) that continuing to work with a 2.4
> kernel is stupid.

>   The problem I'm mentioning is an etch -> lenny upgrade path issue.

So they're going to go a full year and a half (or more) running an etch
system with a kernel that receives no security support from Debian (or from
anyone else AFAIK), that is documented as not being supported for etch, and
is not shipped as part of etch, and then they're going to expect upgrades to
be supported for their system?

I don't think there's any reason for extraordinary measures here to save
users from their own bull-headedness; and doing so only reinforces the
mentality that the release notes are optional reading.