blender: 64-bit problem, #417889 and blender/2.42a-7

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> (04/04/2007):
> [quote postponed to the end of the message]
>
> No one has responded to the important point here, which is that *we
> should not ship broken binaries on 64-bit systems*; the -5etch1
> package is certainly no better than -6 in this respect, AFAICS both
> versions still have an undeclared grave bug because they both ship
> binaries on ia64/alpha/amd64 that are known not to be usable.

I wouldn't say it is unusable, see the discussion we had [1]. Please
also note that this problem, according to upstream, has affected every
64-bit architecture since it is opensource. As far as I know (please
note I'm quite new to the team), nobody ever reported that blender was
unusable on these archs, although it has been in debian since 2.23-0.1
in oldstable. I understand that the public would be rather amd64-powered
than working on ia64 and alpha, and that there were no official amd64
release, but well, nobody complained.

 1. http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-blender-maintainers/2007-March/000195.html

> The rest is not all that important, in either direction; I think
> you've misused debian/NEWS here, and I don't consider documenting a
> package's uselessness on an architecture to be an appropriate "fix",

Again, I do think it is not useless. It might have problem with
crossplatform documents, which is somehow different, IMVHO. And for the
record, upstream has been "hiding" this problem until 2.43, not
documenting it anywhere. So I'd say that although it is no news, it is
quite fair to document it to the users, and I don't really see how I
should have done in a different manner.

> Ok, note that I wrote there that:
>
>   If the package is not "a releasable version on [64-bit] systems",
>   then the binaries should be removed from the release, not just
>   documented.

According to Florian, the wording could have been misleading. In the
light (I hope so...) of my above explanations, do you feel that 64-bit
binaries should be removed? I'd say that it's up to you, I tried to give
as much explanations as I could...

Also, since it looks like you discuss the seriousness of #417889 with
Sam, feel free to hint blender/2.42a-7 if needed (the arm build
is missing, though).

Cyril Brulebois