Re: Desktop upgrade strategy - new procedure 'C'

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 07:15:40PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 23:17, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Some comments for your B option (looks similar to some of the options
> > described in #401317), which is the one I think should be listed first:

> Hmm. Rereading #401317 and especially
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=401317;msg=30, we may
> indeed have an alternative procedure.

> There are quite a few proposed methods in that mail, which were you
> referring to? Note that I'm not a fan of Osamu's suggestions as they
> don't work for desktop installs.

> The new procedure goes as follows:
> - aptitude update (/me is still annoyed at the warnings aptitude prints
>   when a new source is added for the first time)
> - edit sources.list to point to Etch
> - aptitude _upgrade_ (the 'aptitude upgrade aptitude' suggested by
>   Jonathan is bogus; aptitude is not upgraded by that)
> - aptitude install initrd-tools libfam0 xlibmesa-glu (all if installed;
>   last two not needed if fixed)
> - aptitude unmarkauto openoffice.org
>   Possibly we should do the same for 2.6 kernel image packages...
> - aptitude dist-upgrade
> - aptitude update (get gpg sigs)
> - aptitude install linux-2.6-*

> After all that there is only a few obsolete packages (slang1, ipchains,
> some libs) to be removed.

> Let's call this alternative 'C'.
> I've tested this and it works fine for a default desktop install. This
> also has the advantage of not switching back to apt-get as the primary
> package management tool.

FWIW, I just tested this here with a sarge chroot that for some reason had
hotplug installed.  When I get to the dist-upgrade, I get this error:

# aptitude dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Some packages had unmet dependencies.  This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming.

  udev: Conflicts: hotplug but 0.0.20040329-26 is installed.
#

If I do an aptitude remove hotplug at this point, it tries to remove the
desktop task.

I gather that you didn't see this behavior.  Which kernel were you upgrading
from in your test?