Re: Please unblock eel2 again

Le vendredi 16 mars 2007 à 04:53 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 09:29:48PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
> > could you please unblock eel2/2.14.3-5 ? The only change is a relaxation
> > of the libeel2-data dependency. This package solely contains
> > translations, and this dependency will allow to install several versions
> > in parallel.
>
> Are the source strings for the translations *the same* across the different
> versions of eel2?  I understand the point that this would make upgrades
> smoother across releases, but this looks to me like it would do so at the
> expense of correct dependencies.

There are generally few changes in source strings - probably less than
in the ABI itself. Plus, it only means the strings won't be translated.

Of course the "correct" dependencies - those with the exact strings -
are "libeel2-data (>= ${gnome:Version}), libeel2-data (<<
${gnome:NextVersion})", but in this case we lose the ability to install
two versions at once. We moved away from this scheme because such
libraries became unmanageable in experimental. The reason why I'm asking
for the change to be also in etch is because of the GNOME 2.16 backport
that some people are preparing.

--
 .''`.