Re: Is this acceptable to be called "Release"

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 01:31:23PM +0300, Max Dmitrichenko wrote:
> Do you feel absurdity of this situation? Will this be included in the
> final release of Etch to make everyone laugh about "quality" of Debian
> that even our reportbug utility contains bugs?

Well, there are more cases where a bug report can be submitted via reportbug
that omits the non-ASCII characters than there are where those characters
are absolutely essential. And even then, when those characters are
necessary, you can still use any number of alternative methods of sending
in such a bug report. And even then, the recipient of your bug report might
not have the ability to read those non-ASCII characters anyway.

There are sufficient arguments to avoid considering that bug a
release-critical one, IMHO.

> The bug has been waiting in the state "more information needed" for
> four monthes already, but mainter of the package didn't provide any
> reaction trying to figure out the problem.

Actually that the moreinfo tag came about from the forcible merge with
another bug report, #386659, so this was not intentional per se.

The post-moreinfo request was actually unanswered by Chris Lawrence since
February 23rd (when you sent mail saying you can still reproduce it),
so that's not four months.

> I understand that the bug has "normal" priority and is not treated as
> RC-bug. But I think that reportbug is special-case utility which
> designated to the quality of Debian and most of its bugs should be
> treated as RC-bugs.

I understand where you're coming from, but if we started doing that, we
wouldn't necessarily make much progress, because people might actually find
an increasing number of such packages.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.