Re: release update: d-i schedule, release notes, deep freeze

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 07:28:17PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:23:52PM +0100, Luk Claes wrote:
> > N-14 = 19 Mar 2007:

> > 	20 RC bugs.  D-I RC2 releases.  Users are encouraged to use the
> > 	debian-installer for new installs and to begin upgrading systems
> > 	from sarge to the security-supported etch, and report any
> > 	problems found.

> > N-7  = 26 Mar 2007:

> > 	~0 RC bugs.  Final adjustments to packages in response to
> > 	install and upgrade feedback.  Finalization of the release
> > 	notes.

> > N    =  2 Apr 2007:
> > 	0 RC bugs.  Barring any problems that would cause us to need to
> > 	re-roll the installer <knock on wood>, we should be ready to
> > 	release.

> As far as upgrade are concerned, this is unrealistic. If users start
> upgrading systems on 19 Mar 2007, we will not get significant feedback
> before two weeks after that date, at which point the schedule plan for
> the release to have already happen.

This is intended to supplement the existing upgrade reports, not be a sole
source of upgrade info for etch.  Since security support is supposed to be
in place since December allowing users to upgrade, the larger question is
whether any recent freeze exceptions have impacted the upgrade process.

Hmm, Andi, did we ever send an announcement to debian-user welcoming people
to upgrade?  If not, we should do that now rather than waiting for the d-i
release, which doesn't have much bearing on upgrades anyway.