Re: Please approve ntp 1:4.2.2.p4+dfsg-2 for etch.

Hi Kurt,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 07:46:34PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Can ntp version 1:4.2.2.p4+dfsg-2 be hinted into testing?  It contains
> some important fixes I'd like to see migrate to testing.

+ntp (1:4.2.2.p4+dfsg-2) unstable; urgency=low

+  [ Peter Eisentraut ]
+  * Removed obsolete logcheck entry

Perhaps obsolete, but then it didn't hurt anything either, so not a late
change that I'm happy with letting in.

+  * Improved formatting and fixed random whitespace in cron job

Hmm, gratuitous diff to be reviewed :/

+  [ Kurt Roeckx ]
+  * Set a default restriction list for ipv6 too. (Closes: #411809)

This change is understandable and I agree it should be let in.

+  * Stop using dhcp provided servers on release and stop.  Thanks
+    to Torne <torne@wolfpuppy.org.uk> (Closes: #411200)

A slight nervousness about a behavior change this late that could have side
effects, but the difference between release/stop and expire/fail is slight
enough that I won't object.

+  * Don't use the nomodify option for localhost.  Modification
+    is only allowed when authenticated, so having the nomodify
+    option doesn't buy us anything.  It just prevents the resolver
+    slave process who does authenticate itself from properly working
+    (Closes: #385334, #401847)

Yes, this is ok.

+  * Make sure that we disable ntp-server for everybody. (Closes: #410383)

Not relevant for etch release, the sarge version is already covered by the
existing version check.

Could you comment on the logcheck change?  Specifically, what is it that
makes this definitively obsolete, the fact that ntp will no longer generate
such 'recvbuf' messages?