Re: please unblock kino 0.92-3

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 03:20:37PM +0100, Daniel Kobras wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 07:32:39PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >   * Rebuild with --without-dv1394 instead of --with-dv1394 (closes: 406670)
> >
> > This is obviously a change with non-local effects.  Is this going to break
> > anything else?
> >
> > Should I understand that the effect of --without-dv1394 is to cause kino to
> > use some internal dv1394 implementation instead of the libdv1394 in the
> > archive?  In that case, why should we accept a workaround such as this
> > instead of looking for a proper fix for whatever libdv1394 incompatibility
> > exists?
>
> There is no libdv1394 -- you're probably mixing it up with libdv. dv1394
> is a kernel interface to capture dv data that has been deprecated for
> quite a while. It's superseded by libiec61883, and that's what kino uses
> now. I don't know why the --with-dv1394 was added to the Debian package
> in the first place, but this option is strongly discouraged upstream and
> gave rise to several problem reports both upstream and in the Debian BTS
> whereas capture via libiec61883 is in good, supported shape and just
> works.

sorry for the lack of details: the change from dv1394 to iec61883 was
meant to go in 0.92-2, but i messed up and wrongly added --with-dv1394
(instead of --without-dv1394, or not adding anything), forcing the build
to use the old dv1394.

As Daniel said, this indeed fixes the video capture, as the old dv1394
is pretty broken. Users of several cameras have reported success with
0.92-3.

Thanks, piem