Re: iproute

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 02:10:09PM -0800, Matt Taggart wrote:
> (cc requested please, I'm not subscribed)

> Hi debian-release,

> I noticed that the iproute package is priority optional. Aren't we supposed to
> be transitioning to the ip tool and away from ifconfig/route? We obviously
> won't do this for etch, but I was thinking maybe increasing the priority to
> ensure that etch systems have it installed would help transitioning in the
> lenny timeframe.

> What do you think?

I don't think package priorities should be used to encourage testing; the
package priority should be raised when iproute as a package is a suitable
replacement for ifconfig in the Debian system.  And I don't think iproute is
effectively "important" today the way net-tools is, either from the user
viewpoint or as a dependency of other tools that warrant prio: important.

If there is a concern that we wouldn't otherwise be ready to switch to
iproute for lenny, that's something that I think should be brought up for
discussion on debian-devel (or with the ifupdown maintainers?).