Re: Can reports of serious policy violations be downgraded to important?

Philippe Cloutier <philippe.cloutier.2 <at> ulaval.ca> writes:

> Romain Beauxis a écrit :
> >It is serious regarding the policy violation.
> >However, I do not want to set it to serious as for
> >now because of what Steve said.
> >

> What Steve said is for #393962 but not #388616.

I'm not a member of the release team, but to me it seems Philippe
is right. And Steve was probably wrong, since upgrades from 1.7
to 1.7 can also happen in stable point releases or security
updates - and this would again blow away any local customization.

> >If you wish to add a RC bug more to debian, please ask to the
> >release managers if they feel that this should be solved for
> >debian etch.
> >
> Release team: I believe that #388616 should be upgraded back
> to serious.

Indeed: Putting configuration files into /var is a serious
policy violation, except if they are created on the fly from
real configuration files in /etc.  Placing a symlink in /etc
that points to the location in /var makes it only worse.

Regards, Frank