Re: Please consider new libimager-perl for etch

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
All,

Some time ago, I got the new upstream 0.54 of libimager-perl into Debian's SVN repository, and it was eventually uploaded by its maintainer. I just noticed that it has not entered testing, however, http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=libimager-perl and while I do not quite understand the versioning problem there, I ask that you review it for inclusion in etch in spite of it being an upstream version. We are heavy users of libimager-perl, with 2.4 million images having gone through the package, 10000 images was resized with it just yesterday. We have been running 0.54 for months, and can testify it is a very stable release.

Releases from 0.50 to 0.53 were mainly bugfixing releases, where many of the features in 0.50 were stabilised. 0.54 introduced a new resizing algorithm, which improves performance and quality, and as noted, we use it on many thousands of images every day.

0.50 didn't have any big issues I know of, but we never used it for long, however, it is clear that a lot of small issues were corrected up to 0.53 and 0.54 is in our experience rock solid. I doubt very much that 0.54 would introduce any RC issues, and I think it would be sad if 0.50, which wasn't particularly good would go into etch but not the rock solid 0.54 release.

I appreciate that a long freeze may be needed to get a stable operating system, but I hope that an exception can be made for this package.

Unfortunately (but naturally) many packages are in this situation...

... including changes in the build system. Sorry, but I'm not unblocking this one.

Cheers

Luk