Re: gpr in etch is useless: hint 0.12deb ? upload in t-p-u ?

hi again

Steve Langasek ha scritto:
> Hi Andrea,
>
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 12:26:55PM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
>
> Why does this version drop support in revalidate_utf8 for converting
> locale-encoded strings to utf8?

:-) that falls in "unused code cleanup"

gpr should translate strings found in PPD from the PPD locale to UTF8; I
tried to write the code to do that in  revalidate_utf8(); but I realized
that g_locale_to_utf8() translates from system locale to UTF8 (*); what
if system locale and PPD locale are different? so the line 78
  //*str=new;
is commented out, and that code does not do anything.

That is why I thought of deleting that code snippet: it may trick
somebody into thinking that gpr does convert strings  :-)

(*) I should use iconv to do that.... can I include this into my t-p-u ?
(nooo... just joking!)

>  it sounds like you
> would consider this bug RC, because you say it makes the package
> "practically useless".)

yes: the most important reason to use gpr is to conveniently set PPD
options (for me, in particular, Duplex printing)

> What is the GError
> warning you're referring to?

in the new version, at callbacks.c:72 , I set GError *error=NULL;
otherwise, on amd64, there are a lot of GTK warnings saying ~ "setting a
GError on uninitialized memory!"

a.