Re: Accepted linux-wlan-ng 0.2.5+dfsg-1etch2 (source all amd64)

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 01:48:35AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Enrico,
>
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 10:17:06PM +0000, Enrico Tassi wrote:
> >  linux-wlan-ng (0.2.5+dfsg-1etch2) testing-proposed-updates; urgency=low
> >  .
> >    [ Victor Seva ]
> >    * solved compilation error in building the firmware package: the file
> >      man/prism2dl.1 was missing (Thanks vivenzio@web.de)
>
> Why was this uploaded to testing-proposed-updates without consulting
> debian-release first?  We're still waiting for a version to reach testing
> that fixes the known RC bugs; reuploads delay getting the package into a
> state where it can be pushed into testing, and I'm not sure what this latest
> upload is even supposed to fix because it's for an issue that's not even in
> the BTS.

Sorry for the caotic way we are handling the package.

0.2.5-2etch1 is fine for testing, and fixes all the known RC bugs about the
package.

In the meanwhile the kernel team decided to accept linux-wlan-ng into
the modules-extra package so that the modules for lwng will be
automatically rebuilt every kernel upload. While reviewing the package
they found that a file (namely the utility to upload firmware,
prism2dl.c) was under a non DFSG compliant license (and worse, it was
not redistributable at all). The package already contains a script to
download the firmware (non redistributable either) from upstream svn
repository, so we removed the incriminated .c file for the orig.tar.gz
and fixed the script to download the .c file from upstream svn
repository too. This lead to 0.2.5+dfsg-1etch1.

Unfortunately we made a mistake in 0.2.5+dfsg-1etch1 regarding the way
prism2dl.1 is installed. We fixed that in 0.2.5+dfsg-1etch2.

Sorry that this was confusing and not well documented in the bts, but
when I saw the non redistributable file I fired the upload asap. Few
days later the upstream answered my request of clarification about the
license of that file and he changed it in the upstream repository to
GPL/MPL.

Ciao
--
Enrico Tassi