Re: neon026 and .la files

[Joe Orton]
> `neon-config --la-file` is part of the defined and documented neon
> interface: removing the .la file breaks that interface, and hence
> will break applications designed to build against neon.

So, I was the one who requested that the neon26 maintainer remove the
.la file.  I'll incorporate Ondrej and Steve's comments by reference
here - suffice it to say Debian has good reasons to want to phase out
.la files entirely, if possible.

As for 'neon-config --la-file', I am curious why it even exists.  Is
not 'neon-config --libs' just as effective?  If you pass "-lneon" to
libtool --mode=link, it looks for the .la file anyway and uses it if
found.  So even on platforms where the .la file adds real value,
'neon-config --libs' should still work perfectly.

As for Debian, changing 'neon-config --la-file' to be a synonym for
'neon-config --libs' is probably the right thing to do.

Peter