Re: s390 uninstallability review

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:23:44PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> (No need to CC me, I'm subscribed to d-release)

> On Monday 17 July 2006 13:32, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > The real problem here is that the latest security updates in stable
> > > have not been installed for unstable/testing too for packages that
> > > don't have a more recent version there.
> > > Solving that problem would also fix the uninstallability of these
> > > meta packages. Quite a few other packages are affected too.

> > Well, couldn't we just kill the 2.4-kernel-related packages from
> > unstable/testing?

> First: how does that address the current rather structural problem of the
> lack of propagation of stable security updates to testing/unstable?

> Second: no, not yet, as that would break D-I beta 2 installations (as was
> already discussed on IRC with Bastian this morning).

If they require the kernel-latest packages, and those packages are
uninstallable, isn't d-i beta2 currently already broken on s390?

FWIW, seeing that they were uninstallable and "pending removal", I went
ahead and hinted them out of testing (before this further subthread).  I
don't see that this does any harm at all; they can certainly get back in if
they become installable again, but they're useless to have in testing until
then.