Re: linux-wlan-ng in etch

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 12:02:43AM +0100, Enrico Tassi wrote:
> I've just uploaded a new version to unstable that restores a missing
> file that prevents the correct loading of firmware and reverts a patch
> taken from Ubuntu that made firmware loading impossible.

It also adds patches to the source that isn't listed in
debian/patches/00list at all, and in general includes lots of changes that
are not adequately documented in the changelog.  I can't review this package
to tell whether it's ok if I can't understand what the changes are supposed
to be for, sorry.

Ironically, the "new upstream version" part of this is reasonably small and
easily permitted.

> The frozen version 0.2.5-2 is really close to the one in unstable
> 0.2.6+svn20061108-1 that essentially adds a
> small patch to make it more network/interfaces friendly (so that you can
> use the gnome-network-*)

Please explain which change this is in the source and how it makes it more
friendly.

> and compilation fixes for kernel 2.6.19.

Irrelevant for etch.

> Version 0.2.5-2 manifests only the first problem (missing file) and
> since etch will be 2.6.18 the compilation fixes added in 0.2.6+ will be
> useless. Anyway, the better compatibility with the gnome stuff makes me
> think that it would be better to let 0.2.6+svn20061108-2 enter etch,
> instead of providing a minimal fix against 0.2.5.

If you can account for the changes in the unstable version it's possible,
but I suspect that it would be easier after all to make a targetted upload
to testing-proposed-updates (if the proposed changes are appropriate for
t-p-u -- I don't think I understand yet which part of the changeset is
relevant to your request).

Thanks,