Re: please unblock libpng 1.2.15~beta5-0

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:13:36PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> As I'm no longer the maintainer, I don't have any say to what happens to
> this package, but my advice, based on my painful experience with libpng,
> would be to *not* unblock it now. Releasing with a beta version that
> hasn't been widely tested is a dead end. Even without the "beta" flag,
> there have been several changes since 1.2.8 that haven't been given any
> chance to be tested (one month being way too short for considering a new
> libpng version to be tested).

Unfortunately, 1.2.8 is not the version of libpng in testing today; 1.2.13
is, and that version has *known* RC bugs.

Moreover, there has now been a shlibs bump in this beta version (warranted
or not, I don't know) that blocks a number of packages in unstable.  So if
there is a reason that 1.2.15beta5 is not releasable, we need to figure out
how to get that reverted as well, from what I can see.

After a quick review, the latest shlibs bump is definitely wrong.  Actually,
there are two symbols *missing* from 1.2.15beta5: png_read_destroy, and
png_write_destroy.  This is an ABI regression that needs to be resolved
before .15 can be considered for etch.

Anibal, both of these bugs (the gratuitous shlibs bump and the ABI
regression) need to be fixed before this package can be considered for etch.
The ABI change even seems to be a *Debian-specific* change between .13 and
.15 as a result of you silently dropping part of the Debian diff, so there's
no excuse for not fixing this.

Correct shlibs for this library would appear to be

 libpng12 0 libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13)
 udeb: libpng12 0 libpng12-0-udeb (>= 1.2.13)

because I do see a new symbol added to the export table between 1.2.8 and
1.2.13.

I also see 130 symbols that have been *dropped* from the export table
between 1.2.8 and 1.2.13!  I'm not aware that this was ever discussed, and I
have no idea how many of these were part of the exported API in 1.2.8.  But
seeing symbols with names like 'png_combine_row' going missing, I have grave
misgivings about even 1.2.13 being included in etch.