Re: [Pkg-kde-extras] Re: digikam 0.8.2 for etch, the next Debian release!? (due to exiv2 0.12)

On Wednesday, 13. December 2006 16:59, Andreas Huggel wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 December 2006 03:35, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> > Hi exiv2 developers,

Hi Andreas,

thx for all the infos comments below.

> > the debian-release managers do not accept a library
> > transition from exiv2 0.10 to 0.12 as etch is already
> > frozen:
> >

> > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-kde-extras/2006-December
> >/002193.html
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00004.html
> >
> > Digikam 0.9.0 rc2 requires exiv2 0.12 for good reasons AFAIU:
> >
> > 	http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/177
> >
> > With digikam rc1 several people observed crashes with exiv2 0.10 in
> > debian too.
> >

> > So as is, rc2 in debian etch is not possible due to missing exiv2
> > 0.12.  rc1 crashes and has therefore release critical bugs.  So
> > only 'save' option would be to go back to digikam 0.8.2.
> >
> > AFAICS the only way to get 0.9.0 rc2 into debian at this stage:
> >
> >   o why is exiv2 0.10 in etch more risky that an 0.12 upgrade?
> http://www.exiv2.org/changelog.html

Mhmm, this lists a handful of crashes and mentions too small 'buffer'
as fixed between 0.10 and 0.12.

> 0.10 is not an option for digikam 0.9.0 rc2, see below. There is a crash
> (exiv2 bug #482) reported by ufraw which was fixed in 0.11 and an open
> Debian bug (#396060) for libexiv2-dev from ufraw. The situation may not
> be as critical for the other Debian applications which use exiv2, I am
> not aware of any exiv2 related problems they have.
> >   o how risky is 0.10 -> 0.12 for apps using it
> It involves subtle API changes. Applications need to be tested and need
> to be checked to determine if they are affected. I suggest to check
> with the application developers. The only feedback I have is an
> informal heads-up from the ufraw author

'Subtle' API changes do not sound good short before release :(
> Udi> I noticed that you bumped Exiv2 version to 0.12
> Udi> and tested it (on linux) with UFRaw, and had no problem.

Good, so ufraw and digikam are happy with libexiv 0.12

> > New features of the library and superior applications using the
> > lib are unfortunately not relevant at this stage of the debian
> > etch release cycle.

So my personal summary is:

	o follow the 0.8.2 for etch/testing route :(

	o get libexiv2 0.12 and all apps that depend ASAP into
	  experimental (I'll try to upload backports of them
	  for more testing into my repos)

	o libexiv2 fixes between 0.10 and 0.12 need a more careful
          look before etch release

If due to last point a 0.10 -> 0.12 migration seem less risky than
sticking with 0.10, we have at least 'tested' pkgs in experimental.

> > Thx for any input,
> > Achim
> On a personal note: If digikam 0.9.0 rc2 is ready to be included in
> etch, please do not drop it because of this Debian issue.

FWIW: I use it since 0.9 beta1.  Never regret it.

> Seeing their work in a distribution is vital reward and incentive for
> developers, recent versions of applications are vital for distros.
> digikam users and developers have contributed a lot of time and effort
> to improve exiv2 recently, so that it does what they need. Gilles
> Caulier, the digikam coordinator, is an active exiv2 developer.
> Consequently, many of the recent changes and bugfixes are important for
> digikam, some are critical.

Yeah, the situation is very unsatisfying for me too.  Bad timing :(
libexiv2 0.12 and digikam 0.9 final ready some week earlier or etch
frozen some week later and there would be no problem at all.

> So if digikam 0.9.0 rc2 is ready for etch, there must be a creative way
> to include exiv2 0.12 too, maybe so that it can be used by digikam
> only. Eg, what about including it in digikam with static linkage, or a
> 0.12 package just for digikam in addition to 0.10?

I'll try to work other with the others in experimental on a solution.

> Let me know if I can help, I am really looking forward to etch with the
> latest digikam.

Me too.
> Thanks for all your great work on Debian!
> Andreas
> (Debian fan, exiv2 author)

Thx for your create work too.  exiv2 is an important
peace of software for everyone, liking free software
and digital cameras!

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com