Re: digikam 0.8.2 for etch, the next Debian release!? (due to exiv2 0.12)

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 03:35, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> Hi exiv2 developers,
>
> the debian-release managers do not accept a library
> transition from exiv2 0.10 to 0.12 as etch is already
> frozen:
>

> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-kde-extras/2006-December
>/002193.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/12/msg00004.html
>
> Digikam 0.9.0 rc2 requires exiv2 0.12 for good reasons AFAIU:
>
> 	http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/177
>
> With digikam rc1 several people observed crashes with exiv2 0.10 in
> debian too.
>

> So as is, rc2 in debian etch is not possible due to missing exiv2
> 0.12.  rc1 crashes and has therefore release critical bugs.  So
> only 'save' option would be to go back to digikam 0.8.2.
>
> AFAICS the only way to get 0.9.0 rc2 into debian at this stage:
>
>   o why is exiv2 0.10 in etch more risky that an 0.12 upgrade?

http://www.exiv2.org/changelog.html

0.10 is not an option for digikam 0.9.0 rc2, see below. There is a crash
(exiv2 bug #482) reported by ufraw which was fixed in 0.11 and an open
Debian bug (#396060) for libexiv2-dev from ufraw. The situation may not
be as critical for the other Debian applications which use exiv2, I am
not aware of any exiv2 related problems they have.

>   o how risky is 0.10 -> 0.12 for apps using it

It involves subtle API changes. Applications need to be tested and need
to be checked to determine if they are affected. I suggest to check
with the application developers. The only feedback I have is an
informal heads-up from the ufraw author

Udi> I noticed that you bumped Exiv2 version to 0.12
Udi> and tested it (on linux) with UFRaw, and had no problem.

> New features of the library and superior applications using the
> lib are unfortunately not relevant at this stage of the debian
> etch release cycle.
>
> Thx for any input,
> Achim

On a personal note: If digikam 0.9.0 rc2 is ready to be included in
etch, please do not drop it because of this Debian issue.
Seeing their work in a distribution is vital reward and incentive for
developers, recent versions of applications are vital for distros.
digikam users and developers have contributed a lot of time and effort
to improve exiv2 recently, so that it does what they need. Gilles
Caulier, the digikam coordinator, is an active exiv2 developer.
Consequently, many of the recent changes and bugfixes are important for
digikam, some are critical.
So if digikam 0.9.0 rc2 is ready for etch, there must be a creative way
to include exiv2 0.12 too, maybe so that it can be used by digikam
only. Eg, what about including it in digikam with static linkage, or a
0.12 package just for digikam in addition to 0.10?

Let me know if I can help, I am really looking forward to etch with the
latest digikam.

Thanks for all your great work on Debian!

Andreas
(Debian fan, exiv2 author)