Re: Re: Security team's opinion

Martin Schulze wrote:
> If I remember correctly, then
>
>  a) it's not possible to switch mplayer to using the ffmpeg package unless
>     i) the code is changed, and
>     ii) the release team would allow the package with changed code to go
>         into etch which could not be as well tested as before, and
>
>  b) there is no stable API of ffmpeg, and maybe

Well, that's half-true. I haven't checked how mplayer looks, but for
gst-ffmpeg the changes are very small, as the really significant thing
that changes from one ffmpeg version to another is the list of codecs
(yes, that says much about the ffmpeg developers).

>  c) there's no shared ffmpeg library (?!?), and

Thanks to Sam Hocevar, we have one in Debian :)

>  d) Moritz already okayed mplayer with its own ffmpeg for etch as
>     an exception.

Reading the mplayer bug logs, he agreed to make an exception for
gst-ffmpeg but not for mplayer. Now, if you all agree to make a similar
exception for mplayer, that should be fine with everyone, as you'll be
the ones suffering from the situation (along with the mirror admins).

Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"