Re: Question about removal of cyrus-sasl2-mit

Roberto C Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:51:10PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:

>> I can remove a package without any bug - the RC bug is required so that
>> the package doesn't return on its own. That is why pre-freeze an RC bug
>> is required - and we require the bug on ftp.debian.org for
>> documentation reasons. If it makes you feel better, you can still
>> submit an RC bug - it won't do anything bad.

> OK.  I did not understand that.  I won't bother with another bug then.
> Please remove the cyrus-sasl2-mit packages (libsasl2-gssapi-mit and
> libsasl2-krb4-mit) from Etch.

> I will file a removal bug soon.

Wait, woah.  You shouldn't just remove libsasl2-gssapi-mit from etch
without a transition package so that people who are upgrading from sarge
still have the MIT GSSAPI SASL module installed.  That would break a bunch
of our servers.

I agree with the removal since the base SASL libraries are now newer and
the old modules may well not work, but we should provide a better upgrade
path than just having the package disappear.