Re: Package name change

Hi Bas,

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 02:12:06PM +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> One of my packages, SDLjump, has been renamed upstream to GNUjump (since it
> became part of the GNU project).  However, there has not been a release of the
> renamed version, and it may take some time before that happens (a few months,
> I think).

> SDLjump is not in Sarge.  Is it a good idea to rename the package now, so that
> the package name in Etch will be gnujump, and no transition is needed when
> Etch+1 (sorry I forgot the name) is released?  Or should I just wait for an
> upstream release, and package that after Etch is out?

It sounds like it may be likely for users to be looking for gnujump in the
etch timeframe, not knowing about the SDLjump name.  Is that a fair
assessment?  If so, I would tend towards renaming now, but this must be
weighed against the possible confusion to users by making available a
version of gnujump that never existed upstream.

If you don't rename now, it's not the end of the world, plenty of packages
get renamed upstream between releases.