Re: Very Large Package Set Upgrade, stage 1

On Saturday 25 November 2006 17:09, Bill Allombert wrote:
> 3) the aptitude dist-upgrade output:
> <http://people.debian.org/~ballombe/upgrade/aptitude.dist-upgrade.1>

I've taken a look at the REMOVED and INSTALLED files from this one, and to
be honest, things don't look bad at all.

Most of the removals look to be packages that have either been dropped
from the distro or are (temporarily) not in testing.
The lists below are not complete: I've not checked all packages.

Currently not in testing:
 acl2
 acl2-books
 acl2-emacs
 acl2-infix
 akregator-i18n
 akregator-konq-plugin
 akregator-kontact-plugin
 aqsis
 aqsis-libs
 aqsis-libs-dev
 arla
 bibletime
 bibletime-i18n
 boa-constructor

Dropped from Debian:
 abiword-doc
 akode
 alsa-headers
 amarok-arts
 amarok-gstreamer
 animal-dev
 animal0
 arpd
 base-config
 beecrypt2
 beecrypt2-dev
 bibview
 bonobo
 bonobo-conf
 brahms
 capplets
 castle-combat-data
 gnustep-back
 mlchat
 ocaml-ioxml
 ocaml-omom
 ocaml-zoggy

Most other removals are straight upgrades of packages with a version in
the package name.

Then there are also some expected replacements, like netkit-inetd by
openbsd-inetd.

There are some removals that may be worth looking into:
- all the aspell* packages
- amarok
- jackd

I'm also very surprised that all of gcc3.4, gcc4.0 and gcc4.1 are being
installed!
Also the number of python packages getting installed is huge (probably
just deps though).

I suspect that the system had a fairly big number of "obsolete" packages
left over after the upgrade: a much larger number of libraries is getting
installed than is getting removed. Probably due to the fact that they
were not marked as "auto" in aptitude.

Cheers,
FJP