Re: preparation for 2.6.18-6 kernel upload on monday 20th of november 2006.
On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:23:34AM +0100, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> > As you may know, or not, we are waiting for the abi-breaking 2.6.18-6 to be
> > uploaded for pushing the 2.6.18 kernel into etch.
> > It seems 220.127.116.11 is announced for saturday, so this would mean a natural
> > tentative schedule of let's say monday the 20th of november 2006 as upload
> > date.
> > Is there any comment on this ? Anyone has any particular stuff they would like
> > included before -6 is released ? Or otherwise comments on this tentative
> > deadline ?
> I'd like to re-enable building atari images for m68k, 2.6.18 with some
> patches is working on atari again and we might even haven two new drivers
> for network hardware (one of those is working on our uberfast Falcons
> already, they other one might, but we are still waiting for the hardware,
> that's how new it is). Unfortunately I am a little handicapped right now and
> I also managed to shoot down my atari, so it might be a little difficult to
> test, once I have the patches sorted out. This would not change anything
> with the existing m68k images, it would just (re-)add another one, which
> means we have to go through new, but we have to anyhow because of the abi
There's no reason that 2.6.18-6 would need to be the last kernel upload for
etch, but given that we appear to be bound by an ABI change for LSB reasons,
there is a very good reason to get 2.6.18-6 uploaded sooner rather than
later so that other packages depending on the kernel ABI version (including
d-i) can be updated.
If you have time to get these fixes in by Sven's suggested deadline, I would
welcome them. Otherwise, I would strongly encourage the kernel team to
push 2.6.18-6 out and defer the amiga changes until -7.
Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS
Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world.