Re: Kernel Firmware issue: are GPLed sourceless firmwares legal to distribute ?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 03:49:25PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > The answer to the question in the subject is simple: NO.
>
> Thankyou for your opinion. I note you seemed to neglect to mention
> that you're not a lawyer.

That should be abundantly apparent to anyone who has been paying
attention. Regardless, it doesn't dismiss the crux of the argument:
baring competent legal advice to the contrary,[1] distributing
sourceless GPLed works is not clear of legal liability. Doing
otherwise may put ourselves and our mirror operators in peril.

Don Armstrong

1: And frankly, I'd be suspicious of the source of any legal advice
claiming that violating the letter of the GPL was something that could
be done without any concern for liability.
--
I now know how retro SCOs OSes are. Riotous, riotous stuff. How they
had the ya-yas to declare Linux an infant OS in need of their IP is