Re: Coordination of pre-release QA work ?

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:46:02AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the release of etch approaching, it would be nice to do a lot of
> archive-wide QA work. However, such work has generally been done without
> much synchronization/coordination, and the draft QA report[0] is nearly
> empty.
>
> I was wondering what people were currently working on. It seems that
> Bill Allombert did quite a lot of package installation checks recently
> (with piuparts ?), but I'm not aware of other works.

Yes, I am using a modified patched version of piuparts to check whether
the Sarge to Etch upgrade path is smooth. Note that I perform all the
test with apt-get, not aptitude.

My conclusion so far:

1) A lot of packages postrm do not implement purge correctly.

2) Sarge to Etch upgrade dependency processing is smoother than Woody to
Sarge was because there was less transition overall, less circular
dependencies and apt-get is more robust.

3) There are still a lot of problems with maintainer scripts, file
   conflicts and emacs add-on installation (emacsen-common).

4) Packages renaming and conffiles. There are major packages that cause
a lot of spurious conffile handling due to renaming (ssh,vim,
openoffice.org-common and others). Unfortunately until the dpkg team
answer to <http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2006/09/msg00017.html> I
am unsure how to deal with the conflicting behaviour between sarge dpkg
and etch dpkg toward conffile handling.

5) I cannot test the result of kernel and X upgrade.

6) The upgrade path for people using Sarge with the free ATI DRI driver
is broken see bug #319689, #319689. I consider this serious since this
affect the cards with best support in Sarge.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.