Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 04:42:16AM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:

> my impression of the current situation is that there
> is some fairly heavy politicking goings on here. one
> the action is not consistent with debian's published
> values of inclusiveness.

> also to give people the freedom to participate in future
> developments, let us assume it is not always going to be
> organized around simply quantity.

I'm not saying quantity isn't a problem or that politics isn't annoying,
but the m68k port's biggest problem since gcc-4.0 rolled out has been
the toolchain.

Roman Zippel has done some serious and great work fixing our toolchain
over the past two months or so. We're down to about 16 packages blocking
146 or so and a total of 72 packages failed due to m68k-specific problems.
The largest blocker is gjdoc with 60 packages, which moved from arch all
and neatly exposed our java problems.

If Roman keeps fixing bugs at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if we
cleared that backlog before the end of the year. Although I doubt the
toolchain is going to get revved everytime he fixes a bug, since it
should be headed for freeze.

But that doesn't mean the RM's should give us special treatment. These
aren't new problems and some of those packages haven't built for something
like two years.

I think we do need to have a discussion about ports that don't build the
full archive, but otherwise can make a stable release and get security
support. Certainly m68k and likely arm users won't be running all the
latest bloatware and thus don't need to be building it (how long would
it take to load openoffice under kde on my m68k mac or even the fastest
ataris?). But drawing that line can be tricky because of dependencies.
I don't think anyone who really cares about the issue has come up with a
good way to frame the discussion or draw those lines yet.

I'd still like a stable, security-supported, m68k port.  It doesn't need
all of kde or gnome or openoffice. I don't know that anyone will ever try
to run gnucash or gnuradio on it. I know there is interest in running X,
web and mail servers, and irc clients. Anything less will make it hard to
support the port and two years to another release is a long time.

Okay, that's more than I intended to write.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>