Re: Move of update-grub and grub-install to /usr/sbin

Geert Stappers <stappers@debian.org> writes:

>> RM team, is ok to me go forward with it?
>
> I think the above misses the _why_
>
> The announce only mentions the new, the proposed, location.
>
> I'm happy with the removal of the full paths, but not happy with /usr/sbin
>
> Please allow to "grub install" _without_ the filesystem _/usr mounted_.
> So either move it to /bin or /sbin, both are mounted when in single user
> mode (as mostly used for recovery)

You don't need grub-install to install grub and usually, when
something gets wrong, you use the grub console to workaround the
problem.

grub-install and update-grub uses binaries provided by /usr/bin and
won't work anyway.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116