Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3

Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:

> On Thursday 08 June 2006 13:33, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> > - increasing differences between the Sarge 2.6.8 and current kernels;
>>
>> That is a reason for.
>
> Only if we _would_ include some backports repository that is known to have
> a current backported kernel and all other packages needed with that
> kernel, but without random backports of other packages. And we would need
> some guarantees about the maintenance of and procedures for changes in
> such a repository (compare volatile.d.n).
> If we don't include such a repository, we're only offering an installation
> that is known not to work on the reboot. And currently we don't.

Worst case you have to add testing to sources.list and get the kernel
from there. With the right pining or default release that still leaves
you nearly completly stable.

I also think we can trust backports.org to continue its great service
of backporting. Lay out some groundrules that need to be met to
support testing->sarge installs and I'm sure something can be worked
out from there.

MfG
        Goswin