Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3

On Thursday 08 June 2006 13:33, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > - increasing differences between the Sarge 2.6.8 and current kernels;
>
> That is a reason for.

Only if we _would_ include some backports repository that is known to have
a current backported kernel and all other packages needed with that
kernel, but without random backports of other packages. And we would need
some guarantees about the maintenance of and procedures for changes in
such a repository (compare volatile.d.n).
If we don't include such a repository, we're only offering an installation
that is known not to work on the reboot. And currently we don't.

> > If it does make it, there will be disclaimers shown to the user after
> > mirror selection to the effect that there is only limited support and
> > not  to come complaining if there are problems on reboot.
>
> Isn't it enough that you already need expert mode?

IMO not. Especially if we would add a backported repo by default as we'd
have to make clear that the upgrade path of such a system to the next
stable release is not guaranteed.
Too many "regular" users choose expert mode (and you don't even need
expert mode; deconf/priority=medium will offer Sarge as well).