Re: bits from the release team: release goals, python, X.org, amd64, timeline

Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org> writes:

> Python
> ======
>
> There was a python BoF at DebConf where we discussed some changes to
> python policy.  For the normal audience, the main result is that we
> will get rid of pythonX.Y-foo-packages in the general case.  Also, python
> transitions will get less painful in future.  For details, please refer to
> the mails to the debian-python list.  We will also do the switch to python
> 2.4 in time for etch; due to the changes, it will be already less painful
> this time.

The python team has essentially ignored questions about when this
transition will happen, or answered them by saying "the answer is on
the debian-python list", which it is certainly not.

Saying "in time for etch" is hopelessly inadequate.

What is necessary is for python to become 2.4 as the default in time
for *everything else* to get into etch.  Popping 2.4 into etch at the
last minute, which frankly seems like the most likely thing to happen
given the current state of non-communication, is not adequate.

Thomas