Re: BinNMU for obby

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 13:06 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> If gmp has changed its API then the dev package has to change its
> name. If the ABI changed then the soname must change.

I consider this as a RC critical bug in gmp anyway, if it is really the
cause of the problem, and as the recompile fixed it I see that as a
strong indicator.

The mail to the gmp's first maintainer did bounce, though.

> The same then goes for obby if it reexports the API/ABI.

Oh well, here you are right. I did not consider this. The interface is
used in parameters passed to some functions in obby, so yes, it needs to
be changed, too.

I don't know if more packages are affected. Apart from that the
dependent applications also need to be rebuilt then.

> Have you checked that a recompiled obby will work with older gmp
> packages? If that is not the case then you have no choice but to
> properly fix this at the source level.

They most probably won't work with older, but I could force a shlibs
version dependency locally in obby to require the new version.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern